Sunday, August 14, 2011

911 & The 1st Day of School...

Well I knew it was going to be a day a NEVER forgot, my baby going to Kindergarten...but I had know idea just how UNFORGETTABLE it was going to be!
Here is my big man all ready for his 1st day of Kinder...So Stinkin CUTE!

I took him to school in the morning and he was so excited. He was excited about his desk, his teacher and having one of his best friends in his class. It made it much easier to leave him. As soon as we walked in he turned around and said, "See ya mom!" Then off he went. It was me that was not ready to head out.
Carter & Mrs. Willis
Alex & Carter...
It was so nice knowing he had his friend in his class. Just a little piece of mind for me.

After I was finally forced to leave the class once the bell rang I was nervous and scared for him. Will he be nervous, will he have fun, will the kids be nice to him, will HE be nice to the kids, will he listen, will he get lost. It went on and on...and 7 hours is a LONG day for a 5 year old.
I pulled myself together and headed home.
Then at 10:42 I got a call from his school....
"Mrs. Damron, Carter passed out at school and was unresponsive so we called 911 and the ambulance is on the way. Would you like us to hold it until you get here?"
I said yes and jumped in the car, since I didn't know whether or not I would have to head to the hospital I called my friend to drop off Kate.
I FLEW to her house...As soon as I turned up the street I saw the motorcycle cop...BUSTED! 65 in a 35 I knew he was not going to let it slide. Yup, he flipped on his lights and stated after me. I was not going to stop though until I got to my friends house...I was in a hurry!
So he had to follow me at least a good mile and a half until I finally stopped, plus I didn't slow down. As soon as I pulled up I jumped out of the car and started pulling out the girls. My friend ran out and I started throwing the half dressed girls to her, she thought the cop was with me and I had to inform her that he was just there to give me a ticket.
As I started explaining what was happening to the cop I of course lost it and he just looked at me like the basket case that I was and told me to go.
So off I FLEW to the school...yup I pull up and there was a fire truck with lights on. I ran into the school and they wound me through the hallways and there was my big man snuggled up on Mrs. Willis lap, surround by 3 firemen, hooked up to a few machines.
They were run a blood pressure cuff, checking oxygen levels, taking blood to check sugar levels, ect.
Long story a little bit shorter: He had been outside playing and when he walked back in he felt "wobbly" as he says and then hit the floor. It took them a minute or so to get him responsive again and then he was slightly slurring his words.
By the time I got there he just looked pale...The firemen said all of his numbers looked good and they could not find anything. They suggested it was a combination of heat, dehydration, and anxiety.
I was then able to take him home to go get checked out by our Pediatrician. As we were leaving the school Kody had made it there from work and took him home while I went to go get the girls.
By the time I go home Carter had perked up, he had drank some water and ate some food and seemed good as new jumping off the walls.
The Pediatrician could not get us in until after school and Carter was begging to go back. It was only 12:30 by this point. So Kody and I decieded that he could go back and Kody would just sit in the schools office or library and work until the day was over.
Once they got back to school the Office Staff was shocked to see him, once they gave him the go ahead he headed into class. Kody also ended up being put to work in Kindergarten: running centers, packing up back packs, stacking chairs, wiping down tables, ect....
After school he headed to the doctors who ran more tests and said he looks great...He has the resting heart rate and blood pressure of an athlete.
We barely made it through the 1st day...But needless to say it will be a day we will NEVER forget.
I was so nervous to send him on Tuesday because he had told me the best part of his day was when the firemen came...Ah NO Buddy!
Every time my phone rang on Tuesday I was nervous it was going to be the school. Luckily we made it through the whole week without anything else eventful happening!
IN true Carter fashion it only took him a few hours for the WHOLE staff to know who is.
Here is hoping week 2 will be smooth sailing!


Foulgers said...

Bwahahaha, Oh typical Carter, stealing everyones thunder on the first day of school. Love it. Love the story, the police man was the best part...way to dodge that one :) good luck Carter only 12 more years :) Love and miss you buddy

The Bellyakers... said...

Are you for real??? Oh my gosh!!! I'm dying over that one... wow.

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh, Bec that story is great! Haha glad Carter is okay, he looked SO cute on his first day!!

Rach said...

I want re-enactment photos:)) Truly, UNFORGETTABLE!! Love that kids.

PHX_Family said...

Okay, Michelle just told me about this yesterday. I cannot believe your day!! little nut! unbelievable!